Camp for Preschoolers
LITTLE PIONEERS; AGES 2-3 YRS This is the perfect camp for little ones, to not only introduce them to camp, but will help keep your preschooler active and engaged throughout the summer! Daily activities include songs, arts & craft, stories, games, outdoor play and creative art. The campers will develop friendships, learn independence, and work on sharing & teamwork, all in a safe, supervised camp. Although they will not have swim lessons they will have water play when weather permits. Little Pios need not be toilet trained and will not go on field trips.
PATHFINDERS; AGES 4-6 YRS This camp is perfect for preschoolers to continually expose them to new experiences while helping them to develop their social skills all in a fun environment. This camp is camp packed with a variety of indoor and outdoor activities from arts and crafts, cooking, sports, games, water play and tons of fun for everyone! Campers attending swim lessons will be divided into groups based on their swimming ability to ensure safe and effective lessons. Lessons are 30 minutes long twice a week on Tuesday & Thursday. Children must be toilet trained.
BALLET, TAP AND TUMBLE The North Suburban School of Dance offers an enchanting dance camp for the young campers. They will learn the basics of ballet, tap and tumbling during each 2-week session. Performances will be help on the last day of the 2 week session. Campers may have their own ballet & tap shoes or can borrow from the donation bin.
Traditional Day Camps
YOUR CHILD WILL EXPERIENCE IT ALL! GAMES, SWIMMING, ARTS & CRAFTS, AND MORE
These camps are perfect for the child who like a bit of everything - from sports to crafts, games to art, they will to experience it all. Summer Day Camp is a lively enrichment program focused on quality, age-appropriate activities, safety, and fun! Campers will learn new things while they make friends and have fun along the way. Each week is packed with a variety of activities planned around weekly themes. Activities including weekly field trips, recreational swimming & lessons, special events, crafts, large group games, and so much more.
- MORNING DAY CAMP will swim 2x a week (lessons & recreational) and will not have field trips.
- AFTERNOON DAY CAMP swim 4x a week (lessons & recreational) and will have weekly PM field trips on Thursdays.
- FULL DAY CAMP swim 4x a week (lessons & recreational) in the afternoon, will have weekly field trips on Thursdays, and receive special lunch on Fridays.
Camps for Pre-Teens
Pre-teens need to discover who they are and what they can achieve. The NSYMCA camp combines day camp with leadership and service. Our activities range from leadership development, volunteer/service activities to games and crafts, leading to a well-rounded camp experience. We will take weekly field trips and complete service projects throughout the community. View the brocure for more information on swimming, special lunch and the annual over night field trip.
COUNSELOR IN TRAINING (C.I.T.); TRAINING TOMORROW’S LEADERS TODAY
Spend your summer gaining valuable work experience, leadership skills while working as a team and having fun! CITs will be trained to work along counselors, implement games and activities, and assist on field trips. CITs will work in various camps so they can experience a wide array of opportunities throughout the summer. CITs must fill out a CIT application, provide two references, and complete an interview to be accepted into the program. All CITs must apply by May 15th to ensure proper training. CITS must be able to commit for the entire summer and work a variety of shifts from 7:30am-6pm. Must be a NSYMCA member. Applications can be downloaded from the website.
Sports and Gymnastics Camp
SPORTS CAMP; CATCH THE OLYMPIC SPIRIT; LET THE GAMES BEGIN
Play Hard, Play Fair, Have Fun! This camp is geared for the camper who loves to play all sports and can’t get enough. Campers will work on the basic fundamentals and different skills of each sport, coaches will emphasize the importance of sportsmanship, teamwork, and learning from mistakes.
GYMNASTICS CAMP; ROLL, FLIP & TWIST THROUGH SUMMER
Whether you are a returning gymnast or getting ready for fall gymnastics, this camp is for you! This progressive program runs year-round allowing gymnasts to work their way up to our Competitive Team. Gymnastics Camp is open for all recreational level gymnasts entering 1st – 6th grade and is designed to teach basic fundamentals on floor, uneven bars, balance beam, and vault. The day includes: group warm ups, instruction through small group skill development work, dance, games, and snack time. This camp runs for 2 weeks.
Entering 6yrs- 8th grade with director approval. The Pre-Team/Team Summer Workouts Program is for NSYMCA gymnasts currently enrolled in our Pre-Team & Competitive Team programs or those gymnasts who will be moving up to Pre-Team/Team next season. We offer a 3-day or 5-day a week option. Competitive Team members must be YMCA members.
Special Interest Camps
Let your child's inner artist be encouraged to explore their creativity and talents. With 4 different art camps to choose from, there is something for everyone.
- Wacky World of Art; Explore the wacky side of yourself and have fun! Anything can be a paint brush - a finger, a feather, or even cars as we drive them through paint puddles. Be creative and use your imagination!
- Building Blocks of Art; Figure out the basic blocks of art by making your own paint, mixing colors to create new colors, mixing up your own play dough, your own bubble solution, and more. Have fun making a mess and learning!
- Messing With Mediums Art; This camp explores the many mediums and various methods used to create art. Come get a taste of what we offer in our Art Department throughout the year and discover what your favorite art medium is!
- From Ordinary to Extraordinary Art;Learn how to build an ordinary piece of art using mixed mediums to take your artistic style to a new height and wow factor. We will work with two-dimensional and three-dimensional mediums.
- Cooking Camp; North Shore Cooking Academy is going to make it a delicious summer. Do you love to bake, cook, and explore in the kitchen? This is the perfect camp for you. We will make a variety of snacks and foods, giving your child the independence and self-confidence to be more than just a helper in the kitchen. *Max number: 16 students. This camp cannot be combined with scholarship.
- Detective Camp; Does your child love to mysteries, who dunnits?, and solving crimes? Then this camp NEEDS YOU! We are looking for young detectives to help uncover clues and solve mysteries to channel their inner Sherlock Holmes, while learning basic science, technology, engineering, and math skills to solve complex, intricate mysteries.
- DIY Camp; Do it yourself camp is perfect if you are creative and crafty and like to build things on your own! We will get really hands on and messy making our masterpieces. Some of the activities may include duct tape projects, tie dying, birdhouse making and race car building. We may use recycled materials to create new and cool projects
- Lego Camp WITH BRICKS FOR KIDS*; Wish you could spend all day building with legos? This is the camp for you! Bricks 4 Kids will make sure that the day is filled with lego fun while exploring science and math! We play lego games, free build, have building contests and work on lego projects. This camp cannot be combined with scholarship.
- Magic and Balloon Camp WITH THE MAGIC TEAM OF GARY KANTOR* Children will have a great time as they learn (and take home) a collection of thrilling and entertaining magic tricks! Each day The Magic Team of Gary Kantor will teach card tricks, vanishing effects, and much more. All materials are provided. Children will also learn how to make balloon animals. We will teach children how to transform ordinary balloons into fascinating balloon animals. Each day children will be grouped by age and learn tricks that are age-appropriate. Each week we will learn new things, so sign up for BOTH weeks and experience twice the amount of fun. This camp cannot be combined with scholarship.
Computer Technology/Digital Media Camps
- 3D Printing; Using STEM, learn how to use a 3D printer and the software that operates it. Projects might include Minecraft designs, ear bud holder, and other STEM projects. This camp will work on 3D Printing projects on M/T/W for 1 to 1-1/2 hours and then move to a STEM project for the remaining time. The Thursday and Friday session will be all STEM. This will allow enough time for all the projects to be printed and given to the kids on the last day of camp. Campers will utilize the NSYMCA Digital Media Lab tablets so there are a limited number of spots available. This camp cannot be combined with scholarship.
- Digital Animation & Video; Learn the basics of animation and how to create amazing videos using our digital media lab. Campers will utilize the NSYMCA Digital Media Lab which is outfitted with state of the art equipment such as tablets, smart TVs and popular digital enhancement software. There are a limited number of spots available.
- My Digital World Camp; Augment your reality in My Digital World; discover how to create your own block world and various items within it. Campers will utilize the NSYMCA Digital Media Lab which is outfitted with state of the art equipment such as tablets, smart TVs and popular digital enhancement software. There are a limited number of spots available.
- Photography Camp; Campers will learn to "capture the moment" in this unique camp that will encourage self-expression. From behind the camera to in front of the computer, youth will learn to digitally enhance and their pictures. In this camp, campers will work individually to select photos from their collected work to print and create a portfolio. Campers will utilize the NSYMCA Digital Media Lab which is outfitted with state of the art equipment such as tablets, smart TVs and popular digital enhancement software. There are a limited number of spots available.
Camp for Kids with Special Needs
H.A.W.K.S. - HELPING ALL WONDERFUL KIDS SUCCEED
The NSYMCA actively supports inclusion and welcomes kids of all abilities. Recognizing the need for quality, adaptive programming for individuals in the North Shore area, the H.A.W.K.S. (Helping All Wonderful Kids Succeed) programs help individuals gain confidence, promote independence and responsibility, work together, as well as nurture a healthy and active lifestyle. All programs are led by qualified individuals who help promote a safe, friendly, and supportive environment. We believe that consistency is of the utmost importance and welcome any aide provided by the family, to attend camp with their child. All aides must be interviewed by the NSYMCA and are required to attend certain NSYMCA camp training activities.
All H.A.W.K.S campers will be interviewed and screened by a social worker. The NSYMCA reserves the right to meet with your child prior to camp so we may ensure that the Y can meet the needs of the camper. To be a part of the H.A.W.K.S. Camp you must fill out a H.A.W.K.S. application at the Y. Applications can be found on our website at www.nsymca.org. If your child has any special accommodations that should be met, or if you have questions please contact Camp Director, Carol Sassorossi.
H.A.W.K.S. Aides – 1 on 1; K – 8th Grade - Max 3 campers per week.
One on one programming for participants that do best when supervised personally. The camper and their aide will be part of our traditional camps or sports camps for their age group and will participate to the best of their abilities. Due to limited space you must register by March 15th to ensure proper staffing.
H.A.W.K.S. HIGH SCHOOL CAMP; Entering 9th – 12th - Grade Max 6-8 campers per session